1. Tony Lewis recently passed away. He was related to which of the following games?
c. Table Tennis
• One of the men behind the development of Duckworth-Lewis-Stern (DLS) method, Tony Lewis died aged 78.
• Tony, alongside fellow mathematician Frank Duckworth, devised the Duckworth-Lewis method which was introduced in 1997 and adopted officially by the ICC (International Cricket Council) in 1999. Renamed the Duckworth-Lewis-Stern Method in 2014, the mathematical formula continues to be used in rain reduced limited overs cricket games across the globe.
• Tony Lewis was awarded the Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) for his contributions to cricket and the field of mathematics in 2011.
• The DL method came into existence in 1997 and was adopted by the International Cricket Council in 1999. The method was devised after stern reactions to the World Cup semi-final in 1992 wherein South Africa were undone by a farcical target calculation in a rain-affected encounter.
2. What percentage of MP’s salary would be cut by the Union government for one year?
• The Union Cabinet approved an ordinance amending the Salary, Allowances and Pension of Members of Parliament Act, 1954 to reduce allowances and pension by 30 per cent with effect from April 1, for a year.
• The President, Vice President, and Governors have also voluntarily decided to take a pay cut as a social responsibility. The money will go to the Consolidated Fund of India.
• This is being done in light of the coronavirus pandemic which India, along with countries around the globe is battling.
3. Where are the headquarters of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) situated?
d. Sri Lanka
The Asian Development Bank is a regional development bank established on 19 December 1966, which is headquartered in the Ortigas Center located in the city of Mandaluyong, Metro Manila, Philippines.
4. Action Covid-19 Team (ACT) will provide a grant of what amount to support innovators working on solutions to control the COVID-19 pandemic?
a. 100 crores
b. 1000 crores
c. 200 crores
d. 300 crores
• Founders of Indian startups, members of investment advisory firms and independent advisors have joined hands to form the Action Covid-19 Team (ACT) wherein a grant of INR 100 crores has been launched to support innovators working on solutions to control the COVID-19 pandemic.
• The grant is seeking applications from NGOs, SMEs and startups whose work revolves around areas like prevention of COVID-19 spread, scaling, testing, disease management at home, enhanced support for healthcare workers and hospitals, management of critically-ill patients, and support for mental health of affected individuals.
• The ACT is currently inviting startups to send ideas for consideration.
5. How much amount will be donated by the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited to the PM CARES fund?
a. 20 crores
b. 100 crores
c. 50 crores
d. 15 crores
• The Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) pledged to donate Rs 20 crore from its corporate social responsibility (CSR) fund to the PM-CARES Fund to support India's fight against the coronavirus.
• In addition, the HAL employees have pledged their one day salary amounting to Rs 6.25 crore.