1. Which of the following has officially closed among the world’s longest police investigations?
• Sweden has officially closed among the world’s longest police investigations, into the assassination of its former Prime Minister Olof Palme. The prosecutor in charge said there was “reasonable evidence” against a suspect, but there could be no prosecution, as the man was now dead.
• The suspected assassin was Stig Engstrom, a graphic artist with an insurance company.
• The assassination of Palme shook Sweden, and has been described as a defining moment in how the country saw itself, and its place in the world. It was Sweden’s first political killing in nearly 200 years.
2. Who among the following is the author of the book “A Burning”?
a. Megha Prasad
b. Megha Shah
c. Megha Mazumdar
d. Megha Rizvi
• The Penguin Hamish Hamilton released the “A Burning”, debut novel of Megha Majumdar. She was born and raised in Kolkata.
• The book is about the lives of three characters, Tommy Orange, Yaa Gyasi and Jhumpa Lahiri who want to rise to the middle class, to political power, to gain fame in the film industry and how their lives changed in Indian society.
3. Who among the following has won the prestigious Peace Prize of the German Book Trade?
a. Michel Duflo
b. Abhijit Banerjee
c. Amartya Sen
d. Raghuram Rajan
• Nobel prize-winning economist and philosopher Amartya Sen has won the prestigious Peace Prize of the German Book Trade for his "decades-long work on the questions of global justice.”
• The award ceremony traditionally takes place at the end of the Frankfurt Book Fair on October 18 and is broadcast live on television.
• The Peace Prize of the German Book Trade has been awarded annually since 1950. It comes with a cash prize of €25,000 euros ($28,000).
• Its aim is to honor individuals "who have made an outstanding contribution to the realization of the idea of peace primarily through his activities in the fields of literature, science and art."
4. Sourav Ganguly & Sunil Chhetri have been appointed as the Brand Ambassadors of which of the following?
b. JSW Cement
d. Ultra Tech Cement
• Cement brand, JSW Cement has roped in former cricketer and current president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), Sourav Ganguly as well as captain of the Indian national football team and Bengaluru FC, Sunil Chhetri as its brand ambassadors.
• The company is also rolling out its new multi-media marketing campaign ‘Leader’s Choice’ featuring both these sports icons across West Bengal, Bihar and Odisha.
5. Who among the following has been appointed as BCCI's ethics officer and ombudsman after getting a one-year extension from the cricket Board?
a. Anil Kumble
b. Rahul Dravid
c. Sourav Ganguly
d. DK Jain
• Former Supreme Court judge D K Jain will continue as BCCI's ethics officer and ombudsman after getting a one-year extension from the cricket Board.
• Jain was appointed by the Supreme Court in February 2019 as BCCI's first ever ombudsman. He was later given the additional role of ethics officer.